Well I was going to write a blog post about this sometime in the future but, since I know a lot of users just read posts and don't write things, here it something to read.
CausticLive: What is it?
A live/realtime Caustic song remixer and tweaker. This means, create a song in Caustic2, with patterns, effects etc. Load them into CausticLive and remix them like a groovebox/sampler with pads and tweaker controls.
The application is the brainchild of Rej and I using the "top secret" CausticCore audio framework. ;-) I only say brainchild because Rej and I have been tossing back and forth Android test applications and OSC commands getting the core to about an alpha version with it's API. This is huge since I have been working on this project with Rej for about 8 months now.
CausticCore: What is it?
For those that haven't been reading up on the forums depths and dark recesses, this will be an application framework written in Java for Android using OSC messaging. Short and simple, it exposes the whole Caustic audio framework through String messages and the underlying C++ framework Rej has written for Caustic.
This framework although used in CausticLive has no real release date, Rej and I are very cautious people. I have over 10 years in programming and the mantra release early and often only applies to huge companies, not two people working on something that want to get it right.
When is CausticLive going to be released?
That depends on what I do with it. I am making this application for free, for the Caustic community to grow and kick it on the dance floor. I am a groovebox/electribe junky since 1996 and LOVE live remixing. This application will be an expression of all that is great about setting up loops/patterns/sequencing on the fly. It will be expressive and fast, a light UI and hopefully full of users that remix each others breaks.
- Create a song in Caustic2, with custom machines, patterns and effects.
- Save the *.caustic file to disk
- Load the *.casutic file into CausticLive
- Assign patterns to pads for real time playing.
- Play the sequencer, press pads to trigger one shots, loops and queued patterns.
- Adjust controls on machines with XY, sliders etc for that real time groove.
- Record your live sequence quantized for reloading into the app.
- The kicker, save your live recorded mix BACK to a .caustic file for reloading in Caustic2!
- Plus an infinate array of other possibilities.
Things I have planned
- I want to incorperate remixes into this site, I will figure out the server programing down the line.
- I want to allow users to share "base" pattern caustic files. Use these like pattern presets.
- I'm going to allow the ability to load machines from other caustic files into CausticLive. (hehe this will be kewl)
- Will be able to save and load presets for machines on the fly, like patch loading during a performance.
- There a re no real latency issues since this uses pattern switching not note triggers!
... I could go on but when I have more updates I will post on the thread. Once the application is in beta, we will make a new forum for it.
What I ask of the community, post here if you want to see your ideas in this application!!! I think I have given the general gist to what this thing is going to do.
And yes, I have a working version right now. :)
PS For all you Java Android freaks out there, the source code of this application will be available when the CausticCore is officially released.