I was using Caustic today and a few things came up as I was using it..........take or leave any of these!
I'm so impressed with some of the demos people are doing on it now! That drum n bass stuff is great. Well done everyone. I had a go and doing some techno today and got a few things going......we shall see if it's any good!
One thing I quite like about Caustic and it's limitations is that it forces you to be creative because you only have set amount of instruments ( and one delay fx ). That is interesting as it's challenging! Limitations are exciting. Subsynth is cute...the whole program is cute
1) A transpose button on every instrument - transpose is such a key thing it would be handy to have a dedicated set of up buttons for this. Even on the pattern editor as well. I sometimes am on the pattern editor thinking 'how do I move these notes up or down quickly''
2) In the drum machine 1 tap should be velocity 25%, 2 taps 50% 3 taps 75% e.t.c. Saves having to go up to that Velocity wheel constantly. Perhaps this could be implemented in the key editor as well?
3) Should be able to be able to drag /paint a line of notes across the drum track /key editor in one go ( for hi hats ) and a randomise velocity button for each track could keep those hi hats different.
4) Change colours option. Whilst I love the Lime Acid Green ( that is the look after all) in the pattern editor I sometimes wished it were darker all over. I think the drum machine pattern track could do with some visual changes with colours. I am trying to think of a suggestion........maybe make each track a different colour or each block a different hue depending on it's velocity. It's all a bit too orange at the moment! Maybe you could have colours for velocity in the key editor as well. it's not always clear how loud a note is from looking at it.
5) maybe a Save icon on every window in the right corner. You could just press it and it saves a copy with the latest filename with 0001 added e.t.c - this could get around the undo problem. It would be really quick just to 'save' instantly.
6) When selecting new instruments from filebrowser a double tap should suffice rather than hitting an 'ok' button .
7) I am sure this has been talked about and I don't know a good way around this but deleting notes in the pattern editor could be easier.How about 2 double taps deletes the note? It's a bit cumbersome to keep hitting the 'x' button all the time. I am sure some will disagree with me here! What do other people think?
8) I liked the idea of a Electribe type pattern block sequencer thing....that was really good ( read in the forum).
9) The LFO in Subsynth cycles around quite quickly. Is there anyway of slowing it down by 2x or 4x? Even when 'Rate' is set to 0 the filter sweep I had going cycles up and down pretty quickly!
10) Randomise patch - I always loved the 'Randomise' for creating whacky patches.
11) Last one! How about a new instrument like a drum machine pad sampler that you can load samples into. Something with lots of banks. So you can chuck all your one shot samples in there.....
Even if new things come to Android down the line I am sure Caustic will grow and grow. Logic and Cubase get on fine together!